ManyFoto.com: photos from the world.

Getting started:

  1. Select the country.
  2. Find location in the text box
    [ Type in an address or City/locality: ]
  3. If necessary change the search radius.
  4. If necessary you can move the marker on the map.
  5. Start the search with
    [ See the photos ]

Or use:

  1. [ Search in ManyFoto.com by Google ]
Note:
manyfoto.com uses the Flickr API but is not endorsed or certified by Flickr.
How to get to Broken Hill North (New South Wales) Hotel Broken Hill North (New South Wales)

Photos of Broken Hill North, New South Wales

photos found. 2315. Photos on the current page: 15
1 
1
Former South Australian Railways (SAR) narrow gauge Steam Locomotive T181, built 1904 - see below
Former South Australian Railways (SAR) narrow gauge Steam Locomotive T181, built 1904 - see below
  • Author: Paul Leader - Paulie's Time Off Photography Follow on flickr foto flickr
  • Date of photography: 2018-07-01 12:38:53
  • Geographical coordinates of the taken: 31°57'31"S - 141°27'40"O
  • T 181 was built by James Martin & Co. of Gawler, South Australia (builder's number 182 of 1904) as one of the South Australian Railways' highly successful T-class narrow gauge locomotives, which ultimately numbered 78 examples. It served in the Peterborough division for many years and lasted to become one of the final SAR steam locomotives in traffic, participating in the steam "swan song" of main-line duties while the diesel locomotive fleet was converted from narrow gauge immediately prior to opening of the new standard gauge railway to Broken Hill. T 181 was withdrawn from SAR service on 9 January 1970, having powered the last steam-hauled Broken Hill Express the day before. a While the other SAR steam locomotives withdrawn around this time were retired to Peterborough for storage and disposal, T 181 managed to escape the scrap merchant by a strange twist of fate; the Silverton Tramway Co. Ltd at Broken Hill was apparently in need of extra motive power and arranged a swap with their more modern 4-8-2 locomotive W 23 .a (Presumably the Silverton Tramway's stored steam locomotives required overhaul, while the operable SAR locomotives were now only valued as scrap metal, so a cost effective and expedient solution was to swap one of the Silverton W-class locomotives for an SAR locomotive.) b T 181 was named "Lew E. Roberts" by the Silverton Tramway Co. It appears that Silverton's need for this locomotive was only short-term as it was donated for display in Imperial Park, Broken Hill in April 1972. (I suspect T 181 was used by the Silverton Tramway Co. to haul rail reclamation trains along their redundant narrow-gauge route from Broken Hill through Silverton to the South Australian border at Cockburn; perhaps someone can advise on this?) T 181 later moved to the excellent Sulphide St Railway & Historical Museum, Broken Hill. Info source: www.australiansteam.com/T%20181.htm
  • License*: All Rights Reserved - photo in flikr foto flickr
    *The photographs are copyrighted by their respective owners.
Steam Locomotive Y1, built 1888, formerly of Silverton Tranway Company - see below
Steam Locomotive Y1, built 1888, formerly of Silverton Tranway Company - see below
  • Author: Paul Leader - Paulie's Time Off Photography Follow on flickr foto flickr
  • Date of photography: 2018-07-01 12:34:28
  • Geographical coordinates of the taken: 31°57'31"S - 141°27'40"O
  • The discovery of rich silver, lead and zinc ores at Broken Hill in the far west of NSW led to demands for a railway link to support the mining and smelting operations underway. The South Australian Railways extended their 3' 6" gauge railway to the NSW border at Cockburn, however the NSW Government declined to build a 3' 6" gauge connector for the additional 56km to Broken Hill. The private Silverton Tramway Company was formed to fill this gap and constructed a railway from Broken Hill to Cockburn via Silverton. While called a tramway for legal reasons, the Silverton Tramway was in fact a heavy-haul railway. A lengthy branch line known as the Tarrawingee Tramway was also constructed to supply limestone to the smelters at Broken Hill. The Silverton Tramway Co. initially hired a number of South Australian Railway's Y-class 2-6-0 locomotives to operate their line. Presumably happy with the performance of these locomotives, the company directors took the pragmatic decision to order copies of these locomotives from Beyer Peacock & Co, Manchester. Indeed the Silverton Tramway Co. locomotives were also known as the Y-class. The Silverton Tramway came to own 21 locomotives of this type, including 2 examples of the 2-6-2T variety, although a maximum of 17 were owned at any one time and hence they carried road numbers Y 1 to Y 17. The Y-class 2-6-0 locomotives were superceded in main line duties by the A-class 4-6-0's from 1912 onwards, but many were retained for shunting and secondary duties around the Broken Hill yards and mine sidings. Preserved locomotive Y 1 was the class leader of the Silverton Tramway's Y-class locomotives, built by Beyer Peacock & Co in 1888 as their builder's number 2971. It was withdrawn from shunting duties in 1960 and saved for preservation, being originally displayed at Railwaytown on the site of the Silverton Tramway's main shunting yards, loco shed and workshops. Y 1 was later relocated to the excellent Sulphide St Railway & Historical Museum, Broken Hill (based on the Silverton Tramway's former station at Sulphide St) where it is displayed together with W 25, T 181 and a range of railway, mineral and regional history exhibits. Info source: www.australiansteam.com/Y1.htm
  • License*: All Rights Reserved - photo in flikr foto flickr
    *The photographs are copyrighted by their respective owners.
Find the Best Accomodations located to Broken Hill North, New South Wales
  • New deals listed every day
  • FREE cancellation on most rooms!
  • No booking fees, Save money!, Best Price Guaranteed
  • Manage your booking on the go
  • Book last minute without a credit card!
  • Find out more at Booking.com Reviews
Hotel Broken Hill North
Steam Locomotive W24 named Malcolm Moore seen at Broken Hill's Sulphide Street Railway Complex
Steam Locomotive W24 named Malcolm Moore seen at Broken Hill's Sulphide Street Railway Complex
  • Author: Paul Leader - Paulie's Time Off Photography Follow on flickr foto flickr
  • Date of photography: 2018-07-01 12:30:07
  • Geographical coordinates of the taken: 31°57'31"S - 141°27'40"O
  • This locomotive was built by Beyer Peacock & Co. as their builder's number 7553 of 1951 as the third of four W-class locomotives for the Silverton Tramway Company Ltd. These modern 4-8-2 locomotives were effectively an additional order for the West Australian Government Railways W-class which were under construction by Beyer Peacock at the time. W 24 was named 'Malcolm Moore' in Silverton Tramway service. The four Silverton W-class locomotives wore an attractive lined green livery as they shuttled back and forth over the 56km Silverton Tramway line from Broken Hill to the South Australian Railways interchange at Cockburn, hauling ore trains of up to 1,200 tons and the Broken Hill Express. They displaced the earlier A-class 4-6-0 locomotives in these duties but were themselves destined for short working lives, being superceded by diesels in the early 1960s. Following withdrawal from Silverton Tramway service, W 24 was retained for preservation and was eventually placed on static display in the grounds of the Sulphide St Railway & Historical Museum at Broken Hill. Here it is displayed under a weather roof in the original green livery. Info source: www.australiansteam.com/W24.htm
  • License*: All Rights Reserved - photo in flikr foto flickr
    *The photographs are copyrighted by their respective owners.
Trades Hall, foundation stone dated 1898 - Broken Hill NSW - see below
Trades Hall, foundation stone dated 1898 - Broken Hill NSW - see below
  • Author: Paul Leader - Paulie's Time Off Photography Follow on flickr foto flickr
  • Date of photography: 2018-07-01 21:21:18
  • Geographical coordinates of the taken: 31°57'28"S - 141°27'46"O
  • Built 1891-1905. This is one of the few surviving Victorian buildings in Broken Hill prominently located, and has been little altered externally since it was built. Its chief internal feature is a vast painted ceiling in a geometrical pattern. It is constructed of stone, rendered, and painted with ornamental encrustations, and has an iron mansard roof. The glass fanlight above the door features roses. There is a main hall at the rear which has a vast ceiling painted in shades of green in a geometrical pattern.
  • License*: All Rights Reserved - photo in flikr foto flickr
    *The photographs are copyrighted by their respective owners.
Trades Hall, foundation stone dated 1898 - Broken Hill NSW - see below
Trades Hall, foundation stone dated 1898 - Broken Hill NSW - see below
  • Author: Paul Leader - Paulie's Time Off Photography Follow on flickr foto flickr
  • Date of photography: 2018-07-01 21:18:52
  • Geographical coordinates of the taken: 31°57'28"S - 141°27'46"O
  • Built 1891-1905. This is one of the few surviving Victorian buildings in Broken Hill prominently located, and has been little altered externally since it was built. Its chief internal feature is a vast painted ceiling in a geometrical pattern. It is constructed of stone, rendered, and painted with ornamental encrustations, and has an iron mansard roof. The glass fanlight above the door features roses. There is a main hall at the rear which has a vast ceiling painted in shades of green in a geometrical pattern.
  • License*: All Rights Reserved - photo in flikr foto flickr
    *The photographs are copyrighted by their respective owners.
Scuptures of the "Syndicate of Seven", the original seven shareholders of BHP - see below
Scuptures of the
  • Author: Paul Leader - Paulie's Time Off Photography Follow on flickr foto flickr
  • Date of photography: 2018-07-01 11:56:02
  • Geographical coordinates of the taken: 31°57'29"S - 141°27'44"O
  • Sculptures, by local Broken Hill artist Geoff de Main, depict the seven men who founded Broken Hill when they pegged claims for mining leases along the Line of Lode in 1883. Charles Rasp, a boundary rider on Mt Gipps Station was the first to do so. The other six men were fellow station workers, and included the manager of Mt Gipps Station. The syndicate - David James, James Poole, Charles Rasp, George McCulloch, Phillip Charley, George Urquhart, George Lind - discovered a mineral deposit of such size that it created Broken Hill and funded the country`s industrialisation. The men`s discovery was the foundation of not only the city, but of the biggest mining company in the world. These leases were the foundation for the forming of the Broken Hill Mining Company (BHP) in 1885, a company that went on to be the one of the most profitable in Australia's history. Info source: monumentaustralia.org.au/display/20564-syndicate-of-seven
  • License*: All Rights Reserved - photo in flikr foto flickr
    *The photographs are copyrighted by their respective owners.
_CL03241.jpg
_CL03241.jpg
  • Author: M. Jarrett Follow on flickr foto flickr
  • Date of photography: 2019-04-26 19:07:50
  • Geographical coordinates of the taken: 31°57'3"S - 141°27'49"O
  • License*: All Rights Reserved - photo in flikr foto flickr
    *The photographs are copyrighted by their respective owners.
_CL03240.jpg
_CL03240.jpg
  • Author: M. Jarrett Follow on flickr foto flickr
  • Date of photography: 2019-04-26 19:03:05
  • Geographical coordinates of the taken: 31°57'3"S - 141°27'49"O
  • License*: All Rights Reserved - photo in flikr foto flickr
    *The photographs are copyrighted by their respective owners.
_CL03239.jpg
_CL03239.jpg
  • Author: M. Jarrett Follow on flickr foto flickr
  • Date of photography: 2019-04-26 18:52:44
  • Geographical coordinates of the taken: 31°57'3"S - 141°27'49"O
  • License*: All Rights Reserved - photo in flikr foto flickr
    *The photographs are copyrighted by their respective owners.
_CL03238.jpg
_CL03238.jpg
  • Author: M. Jarrett Follow on flickr foto flickr
  • Date of photography: 2019-04-26 18:45:51
  • Geographical coordinates of the taken: 31°57'3"S - 141°27'49"O
  • License*: All Rights Reserved - photo in flikr foto flickr
    *The photographs are copyrighted by their respective owners.
_CL03237.jpg
_CL03237.jpg
  • Author: M. Jarrett Follow on flickr foto flickr
  • Date of photography: 2019-04-26 18:45:12
  • Geographical coordinates of the taken: 31°57'3"S - 141°27'49"O
  • License*: All Rights Reserved - photo in flikr foto flickr
    *The photographs are copyrighted by their respective owners.
_CL03236.jpg
_CL03236.jpg
  • Author: M. Jarrett Follow on flickr foto flickr
  • Date of photography: 2019-04-26 18:44:06
  • Geographical coordinates of the taken: 31°57'3"S - 141°27'49"O
  • License*: All Rights Reserved - photo in flikr foto flickr
    *The photographs are copyrighted by their respective owners.
_CL03235.jpg
_CL03235.jpg
  • Author: M. Jarrett Follow on flickr foto flickr
  • Date of photography: 2019-04-26 18:43:17
  • Geographical coordinates of the taken: 31°57'3"S - 141°27'49"O
  • License*: All Rights Reserved - photo in flikr foto flickr
    *The photographs are copyrighted by their respective owners.
_CL03234.jpg
_CL03234.jpg
  • Author: M. Jarrett Follow on flickr foto flickr
  • Date of photography: 2019-04-26 18:42:27
  • Geographical coordinates of the taken: 31°57'3"S - 141°27'49"O
  • License*: All Rights Reserved - photo in flikr foto flickr
    *The photographs are copyrighted by their respective owners.
_CL03233.jpg
_CL03233.jpg
  • Author: M. Jarrett Follow on flickr foto flickr
  • Date of photography: 2019-04-26 18:42:11
  • Geographical coordinates of the taken: 31°57'3"S - 141°27'49"O
  • License*: All Rights Reserved - photo in flikr foto flickr
    *The photographs are copyrighted by their respective owners.
photos found. 2315. Photos on the current page: 15
1 
1
Back to top