ManyFoto.com: photos from the world.

Getting started:

  1. Select the country.
  2. Find location in the text box
    [ Type in an address or City/locality: ]
  3. If necessary change the search radius.
  4. If necessary you can move the marker on the map.
  5. Start the search with
    [ See the photos ]

Or use:

  1. [ Search in ManyFoto.com by Google ]
Note:
manyfoto.com uses the Flickr API but is not endorsed or certified by Flickr.
How to get to Failford (New South Wales) Hotel Failford (New South Wales)

Photos of Failford, New South Wales

photos found. 25. Photos on the current page: 15
1 
1
Alpinia caerulea - Native Ginger
Alpinia caerulea - Native Ginger
Alpinia caerulea - Native Ginger
Alpinia caerulea - Native Ginger
Find the Best Accomodations located to Failford, New South Wales
  • New deals listed every day
  • FREE cancellation on most rooms!
  • No booking fees, Save money!, Best Price Guaranteed
  • Manage your booking on the go
  • Book last minute without a credit card!
  • Find out more at Booking.com Reviews
Hotel Failford
Avoch, Barnett Garden, Darawank, Mid North Coast, NSW
Avoch, Barnett Garden, Darawank, Mid North Coast, NSW
  • Author: Black Diamond Images Follow on flickr foto flickr
  • Date of photography: 2019-05-05 16:11:54
  • Geographical coordinates of the taken: 32°5'36"S - 152°28'45"O
  • © All Rights Reserved - Black Diamond Images Avoch, an evolving garden, is owned by Sue and Steve Barnett and is located on the Lakes Way at Darawank, just north of Tuncurry, not far from the Failford Road turnoff to the freeway. The garden has been meticulously constructed over the last 10 years and is based around a large landscaped pond, although the entire property is also impressively landscaped. The owners are earth moving contractors and have left no stone unturned to create a significant garden of great ambience characterised by a mix of species sure to be of interest to a wide range of visitors. The garden, one of a total of eight gardens exhibited, was opened at the 2019 Hallidays Point Open Gardens. The other 7 participating gardens were Arles, Robersons, Byattunga, Wongaburra, Randall's, O'Halloran's and Cape Hawke Country Club.
  • License*: All Rights Reserved - photo in flikr foto flickr
    *The photographs are copyrighted by their respective owners.
Avoch, Barnett Garden, Darawank, Mid North Coast, NSW
Avoch, Barnett Garden, Darawank, Mid North Coast, NSW
  • Author: Black Diamond Images Follow on flickr foto flickr
  • Date of photography: 2019-05-05 16:12:08
  • Geographical coordinates of the taken: 32°5'37"S - 152°28'46"O
  • © All Rights Reserved - Black Diamond Images Avoch, an evolving garden, is owned by Sue and Steve Barnett and is located on the Lakes Way at Darawank, just north of Tuncurry, not far from the Failford Road turnoff to the freeway. The garden has been meticulously constructed over the last 10 years and is based around a large landscaped pond, although the entire property is also impressively landscaped. The owners are earth moving contractors and have left no stone unturned to create a significant garden of great ambience characterised by a mix of species sure to be of interest to a wide range of visitors. The garden, one of a total of eight gardens exhibited, was opened at the 2019 Hallidays Point Open Gardens. The other 7 participating gardens were Arles, Robersons, Byattunga, Wongaburra, Randall's, O'Halloran's and Cape Hawke Country Club.
  • License*: All Rights Reserved - photo in flikr foto flickr
    *The photographs are copyrighted by their respective owners.
Avoch, Barnett Garden, Darawank, Mid North Coast, NSW
Avoch, Barnett Garden, Darawank, Mid North Coast, NSW
  • Author: Black Diamond Images Follow on flickr foto flickr
  • Date of photography: 2019-05-05 16:11:23
  • Geographical coordinates of the taken: 32°5'36"S - 152°28'46"O
  • © All Rights Reserved - Black Diamond Images Avoch, an evolving garden, is owned by Sue and Steve Barnett and is located on the Lakes Way at Darawank, just north of Tuncurry, not far from the Failford Road turnoff to the freeway. The garden has been meticulously constructed over the last 10 years and is based around a large landscaped pond, although the entire property is also impressively landscaped. The owners are earth moving contractors and have left no stone unturned to create a significant garden of great ambience characterised by a mix of species sure to be of interest to a wide range of visitors. The garden, one of a total of eight gardens exhibited, was opened at the 2019 Hallidays Point Open Gardens. The other 7 participating gardens were Arles, Robersons, Byattunga, Wongaburra, Randall's, O'Halloran's and Cape Hawke Country Club.
  • License*: All Rights Reserved - photo in flikr foto flickr
    *The photographs are copyrighted by their respective owners.
Avoch, Barnett Garden, Darawank, Mid North Coast, NSW
Avoch, Barnett Garden, Darawank, Mid North Coast, NSW
  • Author: Black Diamond Images Follow on flickr foto flickr
  • Date of photography: 2019-05-05 16:09:21
  • Geographical coordinates of the taken: 32°5'35"S - 152°28'44"O
  • © All Rights Reserved - Black Diamond Images Avoch, an evolving garden, is owned by Sue and Steve Barnett and is located on the Lakes Way at Darawank, just north of Tuncurry, not far from the Failford Road turnoff to the freeway. The garden has been meticulously constructed over the last 10 years and is based around a large landscaped pond, although the entire property is also impressively landscaped. The owners are earth moving contractors and have left no stone unturned to create a significant garden of great ambience characterised by a mix of species sure to be of interest to a wide range of visitors. The garden, one of a total of eight gardens exhibited, was opened at the 2019 Hallidays Point Open Gardens. The other 7 participating gardens were Arles, Robersons, Byattunga, Wongaburra, Randall's, O'Halloran's and Cape Hawke Country Club.
  • License*: All Rights Reserved - photo in flikr foto flickr
    *The photographs are copyrighted by their respective owners.
Avoch, Barnett Garden, Darawank, Mid North Coast, NSW
Avoch, Barnett Garden, Darawank, Mid North Coast, NSW
  • Author: Black Diamond Images Follow on flickr foto flickr
  • Date of photography: 2019-05-05 16:08:33
  • Geographical coordinates of the taken: 32°5'32"S - 152°28'42"O
  • © All Rights Reserved - Black Diamond Images Avoch, an evolving garden, is owned by Sue and Steve Barnett and is located on the Lakes Way at Darawank, just north of Tuncurry, not far from the Failford Road turnoff to the freeway. The garden has been meticulously constructed over the last 10 years and is based around a large landscaped pond, although the entire property is also impressively landscaped. The owners are earth moving contractors and have left no stone unturned to create a significant garden of great ambience characterised by a mix of species sure to be of interest to a wide range of visitors. The garden, one of a total of eight gardens exhibited, was opened at the 2019 Hallidays Point Open Gardens. The other 7 participating gardens were Arles, Robersons, Byattunga, Wongaburra, Randall's, O'Halloran's and Cape Hawke Country Club.
  • License*: All Rights Reserved - photo in flikr foto flickr
    *The photographs are copyrighted by their respective owners.
Avoch, Barnett Garden, Darawank, Mid North Coast, NSW
Avoch, Barnett Garden, Darawank, Mid North Coast, NSW
  • Author: Black Diamond Images Follow on flickr foto flickr
  • Date of photography: 2019-05-05 16:06:54
  • Geographical coordinates of the taken: 32°5'36"S - 152°28'46"O
  • © All Rights Reserved - Black Diamond Images Avoch, an evolving garden, is owned by Sue and Steve Barnett and is located on the Lakes Way at Darawank, just north of Tuncurry, not far from the Failford Road turnoff to the freeway. The garden has been meticulously constructed over the last 10 years and is based around a large landscaped pond, although the entire property is also impressively landscaped. The owners are earth moving contractors and have left no stone unturned to create a significant garden of great ambience characterised by a mix of species sure to be of interest to a wide range of visitors. The garden, one of a total of eight gardens exhibited, was opened at the 2019 Hallidays Point Open Gardens. The other 7 participating gardens were Arles, Robersons, Byattunga, Wongaburra, Randall's, O'Halloran's and Cape Hawke Country Club.
  • License*: All Rights Reserved - photo in flikr foto flickr
    *The photographs are copyrighted by their respective owners.
Avoch, Barnett Garden, Darawank, Mid North Coast, NSW
Avoch, Barnett Garden, Darawank, Mid North Coast, NSW
  • Author: Black Diamond Images Follow on flickr foto flickr
  • Date of photography: 2019-05-05 16:07:42
  • Geographical coordinates of the taken: 32°5'36"S - 152°28'46"O
  • © All Rights Reserved - Black Diamond Images Avoch, an evolving garden, is owned by Sue and Steve Barnett and is located on the Lakes Way at Darawank, just north of Tuncurry, not far from the Failford Road turnoff to the freeway. The garden has been meticulously constructed over the last 10 years and is based around a large landscaped pond, although the entire property is also impressively landscaped. The owners are earth moving contractors and have left no stone unturned to create a significant garden of great ambience characterised by a mix of species sure to be of interest to a wide range of visitors. The garden, one of a total of eight gardens exhibited, was opened at the 2019 Hallidays Point Open Gardens. The other 7 participating gardens were Arles, Robersons, Byattunga, Wongaburra, Randall's, O'Halloran's and Cape Hawke Country Club.
  • License*: All Rights Reserved - photo in flikr foto flickr
    *The photographs are copyrighted by their respective owners.
Steamer 'Jap' (1911 - 1934) at Breckenridge sawmill, Failford NSW.
Steamer 'Jap' (1911 - 1934) at Breckenridge sawmill, Failford NSW.
  • Author: Great Lakes Manning River Shipping NSW Follow on flickr foto flickr
  • Date of photography: 2017-02-10 16:03:18
  • Geographical coordinates of the taken: 32°5'43"S - 152°26'47"O
  • The Jap, a schooner of 200 tons, was built at Failford, NSW, by John Gregory & Son under the supervision of Henry Miles Breckenridge (son of John Breckenridge) for John Breckenridge, sawmiller of Failford. In 1911 she was converted to a steamer in Sydney. Details Name: JAP - as a schooner 1905 - 1911 Type: three masted schooner with topsails ON: 121105 Registered Sydney: 33/1905 (July) Microfilm Reference Reel: Reel C2/10 Length overall: 124.8 ft Beam: 29.0 ft Depth: 7.0 ft Gross tonnage: 200 tons Builder: John Gregory & Son under supervision of Henry Miles Breckenridge - Failford Owner: John Breckenridge, Failford Name: JAP - as a steamer 1911 - 1934 Type: Twin screw steamer ON: 121105 Registered Sydney ON: 121105 18th April 1911; No.11 of 1911 Microfilm Reference Reel: Reel C2/11 Length overall 124.8 ft Beam 29.0 ft Depth 7.0 ft Register Tons: (1 shipping ton = 100 cubic feet) Gross: 242 tons Net: 136 tons Builder: Messrs Chapman and Co., Druitt St., Sydney, installed the engines, boilers etc. The engines are twin surface condensing engines, nines and eighteens, and are capable of developing up to 250 h.p. The shipwright work, rendered necessary by the alterations, was entrusted to Mr. David Drake, of Balmain, and the joinery work was carried out by Mr. W. Fletcher. The Wingham Chronicle and Manning River Observer - Saturday 20 May 1911 Ownership: Schooner 1905 - 1911 John Breckenridge, Failford Steamer 1911 - 1917 John Breckenridge, Failford 1917 - 1929 John Breckenridge & Sons Ltd, Drummoyne 1930 John Breckenridge & Sons Ltd, Drummoyne (in liquidation) 1930 - 1932 Graham Cecil Harwood Newell & John Raymond Einersen 1933 - 1934 Percy Harwood Newell 1934 Coastal Steamships Ltd. LIFE AS A STEAMER Maiden Voyage The "new" steamer Jap departed Sydney on her maiden voyage to Failford on 18th May 1911. The anticipation of the crowd was electric: "On Friday morning last (19th May), notwithstanding the inclemency of the weather, the quietude of our village was somewhat disturbed by hearing the tooting from several whistles, the mill and steamers evidently having a contest to see which could out-blow the other. Many of our residents not being accustomed to so many whistles at one time concluded that the multiplicity of screeches indicated that the steamship Jap, which had been expected on her maiden voyage, had arrived. This surmise proved correct and the whistling announced her arrival, accorded a welcome to the new ships and in a measure congratulateous to the popular and enterprising owner, Mr. John Breckenridge, on his success.The Wingham Chronicle and Manning River Observer - Saturday 20 May 1911 Detailed Description Prior to conversion she was dependent on the winds for propulsion. After due consideration, the course of conversion into a twin screw steamer was adopted, and the vessel was placed in the hands of Messrs Chapman and Co., Druitt St., Sydney, for the installation of the engines, boilers etc. The engines are twin surface condensing engines, nines and eighteens, and are capable of developing up to 250 h.p. There are two boilers, and two funnels abreast, similarly to those of the s.s. Commonwealth. No expense has been spared in any of the machinery or accessories, nor, it may be said, in any of the reconstructing work. The ship-wright work, rendered necessary by the alterations, was entrusted to Mr. David Drake, of Balmain, and the joinery work was carried out by Mr. W. Fletcher. The alterations effected, otherwise than the installation of boilers and engines, consist of fitting cabins, lockers, lavatories etc., on the same level as the main deck, and cabins and officer's quarters on the upper or promenade deck, and the whole of the work has been carried out on up-to-date lines. She has a roomy, well ventilated saloon, and two state cabins to accommodate eight gentlemen passengers, and four lady passengers respectively below, and a state room on the upper deck, to accommodate four more passengers. The officers’ quarters are also on the upper deck. The promenade deck is roomy and replete with every convenience. The berths on the upper deck are almost ideal; but all are comfortable and as every other modern convenience has been provided the vessel should become very popular. The Wingham Chronicle and Manning River Observer - Saturday 20 May 1911 Early Operation TheJap and the Commonwealth were marketed under the “Breckenridge Line” with the Jap given over to the Camden Haven trade while the Commonwealth took up the running between Sydney and Cape Hawke. Captain Driscoll, formerly Master of the Commonwealth, was transferred over to the Jap. The Jap traded regularly along the coast for the next ten years with only minor incidents reported. One such rather amusing incident was reported as a regrettable misunderstanding: “The small steamer Jap was attempting to enter the Heads at 6:30 a.m. yesterday [17th Aug 1914] when a misunderstanding occurred and a shot was fired across her bow from the fort at South Head. The vessel stopped, but she was afterward allowed to proceed up the harbor.” Northern Star (Lismore) - Wed 19 Aug 1914. Ownership transferred to John Breckenridge and Sons Ltd The company John Breckenridge and Sons Ltd. was formed in 1911 with John Breckenridge as Chairman of Directors and both John Wylie and Henry Miles Breckenridge as Directors. John Breckenridge died in 1917 and in the ownership of the Jap was transferred to the Company in the same year. Collision with ferry Kiamala - 1920 A collision with the ferry Kiamala was to have a lasting impact on the Master, Captain Michael Driscoll). “Certificate Suspended - Captain of Steamer Jap As a result or the collision between the ferry steamer Kiamala and the steamer Jap off Milson's Point on the night of July 24, the Marine Court (Judge Backhouse, with Captains H. C. Chudleigh and C. W. Davidson as assessors) to-day suspended the certificate of the master of the Jap (Captain Michael Driscoll), for two months, from the date of the accident, and ordered him to pay reasonable costs of the inquiry to the master of the Kiamala. Mr. Curtis had informed the Court that the captain of the Jap had an unblemished record, and his reputation was of the highest. Judge Backhouse said that the Court had dealt leniently with Captain Driscoll on account of his excellent record. If the Court had seen its way not to suspend the certificate, it certainly would have done so.” Evening News - Fri 3 Sep 1920 By 1923, Captain Driscoll, who continued as Master of the Jap retired. “Captain Driscoll, of the steamer Jap, who has been trading on the Camden Haven River for many years, and occasionally visiting the Richmond, has made his last trip, he having retired from the service of John Breckenridge and Sons.” The Richmond River Herald and Northern Districts Advertiser - Tue 5 Jun 1923. By 1928 Jap had virtually ceased trading and the vessel was essentially mothballed. Following financial troubles in 1929 it appears that the Company was put into liquidation and the Jap was put up for sale. Sold to lightering contractors Newell and Einersen In 1930 the steamer JAP was sold to Graham Cecil Harwood Newell & John Raymond Einersen. “STEAMER JAP RECOMMISSIONED. After being laid up at Sydney for a considerable time the steamer Jap has been commissioned. Formerly employed in the timber trade by John Breckenridge Ltd the vessel was recently purchased by Newell and Einersen lightering contractors. Under the command of Captain Coe she sailed for Newcastle yesterday to load coal and is due back at Sydney to day. The Jap is of 246 tons gross and was built in 1905”. The Sydney Morning Herald - Saturday 5 July 1930 Attempt to Rescue Newton Elm "NEWTON ELM FIRM ON SAND The small coastal steamer, Jap, which reached Newcastle late last night, was the first vessel to reach the stranded Newton Elm. Coming down the coast from the Macleay River, a lookout man on the coaster noticed the plight of the larger vessel, Captain W. Benson immediately put in closer to shore to render what assistance he could. It was 11:30 a.m. on Saturday when the Jap ranged alongside the Newton Elm. A south-easterly wind was blowing, and the sea wash lumpy and rising, Displaying skill and seamanship, the skipper took the Jap as close as possible, and a line was thrown aboard, To this a hawser from the Newton Elm was fastened, and the small Jap attempted to tow the steamer into deeper water. For four and a half hours the Jap stood by. But while thee firemen worked at terrific speed and the little vessel exerted all her strength, she failed to move the stranded steamer." Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners' Advocate - Mon 21 Dec 1931 Salvage of Northern Firth - Brush Island In her new guise as a lighter, the Jap was involved in some interesting tasks. On February 21st 1932 the steamer Northern Firth was wrecked on Brush Island that lies just off Broulee on the South Coast of NSW. Lloyds instructed the Patrick Co., from London, to attempt salvage work and the Jap was sent to the scene to transfer the cargo, which consisted of wine, spirits, canned fruits, jams, beer, maize, syrup, silks and furniture. In 1933 she caused considerable disruption to communications along the NSW North Coast. “About 5 On Friday afternoon word was received at Taree post office that the mast of the steamer Jap, which was proceeding through Coopernook bridge to go up the Lansdowne, had broken about 18 telephone lines which cross the river at this point. These lines connect Sydney with the whole coast further north right up to Brisbane. It is only last November that the lines were taken from the cable and put across the river. Mr. Coleman, who is in charge of this work at Taree office, and his assistant, Mr. Burgman, at once proceeded go to Coopernook, and it is to their credit that by 10 o'clock the service was restored. The Manning River Times - Wed 21 Jun 1933. Sold to Coastal Steamships Ltd In September 1933 it was announced that the Jap had been sold. “Coastal Steamships, Ltd. announce that the steamer 'Jap' will commence a weekly service to Taree, Wingham, Coopernook and all parts of the Manning River direct without transhipment, sailing from No. 38 Wharf Darling Harbour, next wharf to James Patrick & Co. Ltd., on Tuesday, 19th September, 1933 and every Tuesday thereafter, weather and circumstances permitting”. The Wingham Chronicle and Manning River Observer - Fri 15 Sep 1933. Wrecked on the Tuncurry Bar Her time with Coastal Steamships was brief. In April 1934, loaded with timber, she became stuck on the bar at the entrance to Cape Hawke Harbour while being towed out by the tug Forster. Reports of the day described the scene. “When being towed out by the tug Forster on Monday night [2nd April] about ten o’clock, the Coastal Steamship Company’s steamer Jap struck a sand bar just before reaching the outer play. The vessel was proceeding to Sydney and was taken out at the top of high tide. She was carrying a good cargo of timber from the Manning River and this Port. She left the Manning on Friday night half loaded and crossed here on Saturday, completing her loading from the district sawmills on Monday. After she had been caught end-on, on the bar, it was recognized that the tug could have been no use to her and to save the tug from being pulled into a similar difficulty the tow rope was let go and it was then hoped that the vessel, disabled for the time being, would float off during the next morning or evening, at the latest. However, within an hour after the mishap occurred, it was found by the master that she was leaking badly and the Pilot Station was signaled to keep a look out for the night in case relief was wanted by the crew. On Tuesday morning, conditions had not materially improved and though the seas were not high the vessel was leaking badly and towards mid-day the onrushing waters in the openings made in the timbers caused the fires to be extinguished and the crew signalled for immediate assistance, as they had decided to abandon the ship. With the aid of Mr. James Nicholson’s lobster launch [Hawke], the pilot lifeboat was towed to the disabled ship, and the crew of ten were rescued after some little difficulty, and brought ashore. Mr. Nicholson and his crew are to be commended for the splendid help they rendered and their work was warmly praised by the crew and others who witnessed the heroic rescue of the ships company. Dungog Chronicle - Friday 6th April 1934 With the ship breaking up little could be done. On behalf of the Underwriters' Association, Mr. Bratz, of Porter's sawmills, Tuncurry, received a contract to salvage the cargo. Porter’s log punt, the St. Olive, was used to transfer the cargo and salvage fittings from the wreck. Image Source: This image has been generously provided by the Great Lakes Museum at Tuncurry NSW. The Museum holds a wealth of shipping photos in their collection. Acknowledgements. The assistance of Mori Flapan (Mori Flapan boatregister) by providing access to his extensive database is greatly appreciated. All Images in this photostream are Copyright - Great Lakes Manning River Shipping and/or their individual owners as may be stated above and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or used in any way without prior written approval. GREAT LAKES MANNING RIVER SHIPPING, NSW - Flickr Group --> Alphabetical Boat Index --> Boat builders Index --> Tags List
  • License*: All Rights Reserved - photo in flikr foto flickr
    *The photographs are copyrighted by their respective owners.
'Undaunted' (1906 - 1914) - updated photo
'Undaunted' (1906 - 1914) - updated photo
  • Author: Great Lakes Manning River Shipping NSW Follow on flickr foto flickr
  • Date of photography: 2015-05-23 16:10:11
  • Geographical coordinates of the taken: 32°5'43"S - 152°26'47"O
  • There numerous vessels name ‘Undaunted” operating in Australian waters from the mid 19th Century to the mid 20th century but only two were built or operated in the Great Lakes/Manning area. The tug Undaunted I was built in 1897 by Alfred William Settree and was based at Port Macquarie. Thomas Miles and later both Thomas and Henry Miles were owners or co-owners. The motor launch that I term Undaunted II was built by Henry Miles Breckenridge at the site of John Breckenridge’s shipyards at Failford. She was launched at Failford on 12th September 1906 and was named Undaunted by Henry’s sister Miss Emily Breckenridge (then aged 16 years). She was purpose built for her owners – Nambucca Dairy Company Ltd. (part of the NORCO Group). Features: Length 40ft Beam 10.25ft Depth 3.5ft Draft 2.75ft Fitted with a 10 h.p. Monarch oil engine, twin cylinder, 4 cycle Passenger capacity: 80 On Friday 14th September 1906 she made the trip form Failford (Cape Hawke) to Nambucca Heads – a trip of 130 miles, in 16½ hours. On board was Henry Miles Breckenridge (builder), Henry’s and his brothers John Wylie Breckenridge and Robert Breckenridge. In 1909 she was recorded as sold but the buyer is unknown. She appears to have been sold again in late 1913 to John Cox and Co. but again no details available. She was unfortunately destroyed by fire in 1914 as recorded in the papers of the day: The Maitland Weekly Mercury 23 May 1914 MOTOR LAUNCH BURNT. OCCUPANTS NARROW ESCAPE While conveying a load of butter from Bowraville factory to Nambucca Heads, the motor launch Undaunted, owned by John Cox and Co. was destroyed by fire. When about midway between Bowraville and Macksville. The proprietor, who was the only occupant of the launch, heard a noise behind him, and looking round, saw that practically the whole craft was ablaze. Cox saw his only means of escape was to plunge into the water, which, at the spot, was very deep. The boat was about 200 yards from the bank but Cox succeeded in reaching it in safety, although burdened with all his clothing except the coat. The fire continued to burn for several hours, the butter on board helping to feed the flames. Cox had bought the launch only a few months previously and had been plying regularly between Bowraville and the heads. The boat was not insured, and the estimated loss is £300. The Undaunted was replaced by the Nambucca built in 1915 by W. Holmes & Co, McMahons Point and served as the Nambucca cream boat for the Norco Butter factory for 10 years. In 1925 she was commissioned by the Navy until 1938 when she was sold to Nicholson Bros and renamed Promote. She now operates as a tourist ferry on Berowra Waters under the name Macquarie Princess Image Source: Image Source: This image has been provided by Headland Historical Museum, Nambucca Heads - processed by George Micolich. All Images in this photostream are Copyright - Great Lakes Manning River Shipping and/or their individual owners as may be stated above and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or used in any way without prior written approval. GREAT LAKES MANNING RIVER SHIPPING, NSW - Flickr Group --> Alphabetical Boat Index --> Boat builders Index --> Tags List
  • License*: All Rights Reserved - photo in flikr foto flickr
    *The photographs are copyrighted by their respective owners.
'Commonwealth' (1901 - 1916) at launch - Failford
'Commonwealth' (1901 - 1916) at launch - Failford
  • Author: Great Lakes Manning River Shipping NSW Follow on flickr foto flickr
  • Date of photography: 2002-06-05 20:36:38
  • Geographical coordinates of the taken: 32°5'43"S - 152°26'47"O
  • Commonwealth on launch day, 8th June 1901. The photo is displayed in the Mid North Coast Maritime Museum and has the following inscription: Breckenridge shipyard at Failford on the Wallamba River. The shipyard operated to construct ships for the Breckenridge line, between Cape Hawke and Camden haven to Sydney. The ship here is the "COMMONWEALTH", which made weekly trips from Breckenridge's wharf at Drummoyne, Sydney, carrying cargo and passengers for Forster, Tuncurry, Nabiac, Krambach and Coolongolook. (Photo J. Breckenridge), Failford.. Other images of the Commonwealth can be found in the Album COMMONWEALTH There were two vessels with the same name plying Australian waters - the Commonwealth I built for Messrs. John Breckenridge in 1901 and the Commonwealth II built in Scotland in 1902. In May 1915 both ships arrived in Sydney Harbour on the same afternoon - Commonwealth II bringing immigrants to Australia. The Commonwealth built for Messrs. Breckenridge at Failford was a twin-engined steamer of 95 tons. She was built by John Breckenridge's son Henry Miles Breckenridge under the supervision of Forster shipbuilder Henry Miles. The registration certificate states the builder as John Breckenridge - Failford. It appears highly likely that she was named Commonwealth in honour of Federation. Particular features of the Commonwealth are the twin funnels and the distinct curved bow - the latter feature shared with the Wootton built by Henry Miles at the same time. She was built for a partnership of John Breckenridge, Allen Taylor and Robert Anderson. She was launched on 8th June 1901 and featured accommodation for 16 passengers in cabins and 6 in steerage. Details: ON: 112532 Twin Screw Scow Steamer (shallow draft) Length: 120.5 ft Breadth: 26.5 ft Depth: 5.8 ft Tonnage: Gross 167.64 Net 94.65 Note - a shipping ton is a measure of volume (equal to 100 cubic feet) and has no unit as such. Engines: Steam 25nhp 150ihp C.4Cy.(2) 8" &(2) 14"-12" Chapman & Co, Sydney Builders: Henry Miles Breckenridge under the supervision Henry Miles Name of Builder on Registration; John Breckenridge, Failford. Owners: 1901 -1903 John Breckenridge (32 shares), Allen Taylor + Robert Murray McCheyne Anderson (32 shares) 1903 - 1911 John Breckenridge 1911 - 1916 John Breckenridge & Sons Pty Ltd 1916 - Robert Gratton Cowlishaw (Cowlishaw Bros.) Launch On Saturday [8th June 1901] a launch from Mr. Breckenridge's yard at Failford took place, the vessel being a twin screw steamer for the Cape Hawke trade. Her length is 120ft., breadth 29ft., depth 6ft. She will have a displacement of 108 tons, and is built of gum, is copper fastened, and will be engined by Messrs. Chapman and Co., of Sydney. The vessel will be fitted to carry 16 cabin passengers and six in the steerage, and will be completed at Failford. She was christened by Miss Breckenridge [Elizabeth - "Bessie"] and named the Commonwealth. About 400 people visited Failford from the Manning and surrounding districts. The Sydney Morning Herald Tuesday 11 June 1901 Engines ad sails fitted at Failford Captain Rosten was engaged to superintend the rigging of the vessel, which was designed to carry an immense sail as well as her steam power. An engineer from Sydney came to Failford to install the engines. Maiden Voyage She left on her first trip to Sydney with a full complement of passengers and cargo on 26th August but her return trip in mid-September 1901 caused considerable concern with numerous reports appearing in the press. “The new coasting steamer Commonwealth, 100 tons, went out of Sydney Heads on Friday evening [September 14th], bound for Cape Hawke on her maiden voyage from the port. It was reported this morning from Seal Rocks that the boiler of the vessel had burst and several people had been killed. Anxiety regarding the safety of the steamer and those on board was allayed by a later message announcing that the Commonwealth had arrived at Cape Hawke, 12 miles from Seal Rocks, and reported all well.” The Register (Adelaide) Monday 16 September 1901. Working life in the timber trade She operated in the timber trade for most of her working life. In 1903 John Breckenridge bought out the other partners and registered under the name of his company John Breckenridge and Sons Pty Ltd in 1911. Wreck In early 1916 she was sold to ship charterer and freight contractor Roy Gratton Cowlishaw (Cowlishaw Bros.) for use in the coal trade - based in Lake Macquarie. She unfortunately came to grief early on the morning of 19th August 1916 when she foundered on Foggy Reef - north east of Terrigal, NSW. The following report from the sums up the event: "Commonwealth lost - 1916. The steamer Commonwealth, a Sydney owned coastal steamer of 168 tons, foundered off Terrigal at 3.30 o'clock in the morning. All hands were saved, landing at Terrigal in the ship's boat. The Commonwealth at the time of the disaster was bound from Lake Macquarie to Sydney laden with coal. The vessel appears to have sprung a leak, and, despite all efforts, the water gained on the pumps, and she gradually settled down. Fortunately the weather was fine at the time, and the crew had no difficulty in landing. Captain Smith was in command. He is well known on the Coast, and was for some time in the collier Currajong. The Commonwealth was originally built for Messrs. John Breckenridge and Sons, and she was running in the timber trade on the coast for that firm for some years. About six months ago the vessel was sold to Messrs. Cowlishaw Bros., of Sydney, for the Lake Macquarie coal trade. She was a twin-screw steamer, built at Failford in 1901. Her dimensions were: Length 120.5 ft, beam 26.5 ft., and depth of hold 5.8 ft."Northern Star, Monday 28 August 1916. _______________________________ Image Source - This image has been made available through the The Mid North Coast Maritime Museum. Situated at 2-6 Williams Street in Port Macquarie, the Museum is open 10am until 4pm every day. Local maritime history is displayed in two cottages built circa 1890. Phone 6583 1866, email mncmminc@exemail.com.au Web site: Mid North Coast Maritime Museum Acknowledgements. The assistance of Mori Flapan (Mori Flapan boatregister) by providing access to his extensive database is greatly appreciated. All Images in this photostream are Copyright - Great Lakes Manning River Shipping and/or their individual owners as may be stated above and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or used in any way without prior written approval. GREAT LAKES MANNING RIVER SHIPPING, NSW - Flickr Group --> Alphabetical Boat Index --> Boat builders Index --> Tags List
  • License*: All Rights Reserved - photo in flikr foto flickr
    *The photographs are copyrighted by their respective owners.
'Astral' (1908 - 1924) at Failford wharf
'Astral' (1908 - 1924) at Failford wharf
  • Author: Great Lakes Manning River Shipping NSW Follow on flickr foto flickr
  • Date of photography: 2014-10-09 08:01:26
  • Geographical coordinates of the taken: 32°5'43"S - 152°26'47"O
  • The SS Astral (sometimes referred to as Austral) was a twin screw steamer built by Henry Miles at the shipyard of Miles Bros. at Forster. Miles Bros. was a partnership between Henry Miles and his two brothers, Josiah and Thomas Miles. She was launched by Henry Miles’ daughter, Annie Rose (age 5 years) at 9am on 18th April 1908. The measurements were: Length 116.5 ft Breadth 25.6 ft, Draft 6.5 ft. Register Tonnage: 157 gross and 79 net More images of the Astral can be fund in the Album ASTRAL In Mid May 1908 the hull was towed to Sydney by the Tuncurry I in and the machinery fitted. The engines were made by Messrs. Aitchison, Blair, and Co., Ltd., of Clydebank Works, Glasgow, and installed by Messrs. Begg and Greig, of Erskine-street. They consisted of two sets of compound surface condensing engines, with cylinders 9in and 18in in diameter, and a stroke of 12in. In August 1908 she was ready for trials and recorded an impressive 9½ knots. Over the next three and a half years Astral plied the coast, mainly transporting timber to Sydney for Allen Taylor and Co. Ltd., and from 1910 she is reported as being owned by Allen Taylor and Co. Ltd. In 1912 she was sold to a buyer in Port Stephens who made some modifications and then, in 1914 sold her to J.G. White and placed as a passenger ship on the Sydney – Nambucca run. She changed hands many times over the next years; 1917 she was bought by Peter Callan, James Croll, Aloysius Farrell & Alex. Croll; early 1923 bought by Ellis & Collings; and Langdon & Langdon Ltd in late 1923. Shortly after being sold to Langdon and Langdon she ran aground on the Sow and Pigs in Sydney Harbour. Astral met her demise on 6th April 1924 while carrying a load of coal from Lake Macquarie to Sydney she sunk north of Barrenjoey. This graphic account paints the picture: “After passing Norah Head the vessel encountered rough seas and a strong south-easterly wind. By the time she was opposite Terrigal the Astral had begun to labour in the seas and Captain Mac Donald kept his vessel's nose to the incoming rollers. Seas were continually sweeping the forecastle of the vessel and when darkness fell the outlook was cheerless. Twice, so the lighthouse keeper at Barrenjoey states, the Astral attempted to make her way to Broken Bay, but each time it was too dangerous. Although there was constant anxiety on the part of all on board, the end was more sudden than was expected. The seas broke in succession against the vessel and held her sharply. The water came all over her bow, and in the first lurch the water in the vessel swilled over to leeward and the bunker coal shifted. A second breaker hastened the end. Two boats were in readiness and all hands were on deck. It was eight or nine miles to Barrenjoey, and it was none too safe for seven men to commit themselves entirely to the clemency of the elements. One man hastened to get distress flares to attract help, but there was no time. In far too brief a space of time the vessel sank. The lifeboat was launched and a small boat followed quickly. The lifeboat capsized, and through the darkness those in the small boat saw two men clinging to her keel. These were picked up and on a count being made it was found that one man, McGuiness, a fireman, was missing. The Astral had sunk and the only object being visible all round was the upturned boat. What became of her missing fireman was not known. Image Source: E. Lipscom, Taree Acknowledgements. The assistance of Mori Flapan (Mori Flapan boatregister) by providing access to his extensive database is greatly appreciated. All Images in this photostream are Copyright - Great Lakes Manning River Shipping and/or their individual owners as may be stated above and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or used in any way without prior written approval. GREAT LAKES MANNING RIVER SHIPPING, NSW - Flickr Group --> Alphabetical Boat Index --> Boat builders Index --> Tags List
  • License*: All Rights Reserved - photo in flikr foto flickr
    *The photographs are copyrighted by their respective owners.
F-0122-DSCF7250a
F-0122-DSCF7250a
  • Author: paverne Follow on flickr foto flickr
  • Date of photography: 2016-07-30 08:16:44
  • Geographical coordinates of the taken: 32°5'56"S - 152°28'9"O
  • Wallamba River
  • License*: All Rights Reserved - photo in flikr foto flickr
    *The photographs are copyrighted by their respective owners.
'Commonwealth' (1901 - 1916) on launch day (8th June 1901) at Failford
'Commonwealth' (1901 - 1916) on launch day (8th June 1901) at Failford
  • Author: Great Lakes Manning River Shipping NSW Follow on flickr foto flickr
  • Date of photography: 2014-07-26 16:50:55
  • Geographical coordinates of the taken: 32°5'43"S - 152°26'47"O
  • This image shows the Commonwealth on its launch day in Failford on the Wallamba River. Other images of the Commonwealth can be found in the Album COMMONWEALTH The Commonwealth built for Messrs. Breckenridge at Failford was a twin-engined steamer of 95 tons. She was built by John Breckenridge's son Henry Miles Breckenridge under the supervision of Forster shipbuilder Henry Miles. The registration certificate states the builder as John Breckenridge - Failford. It appears highly likely that she was named Commonwealth in honour of Federation. Particular features of the Commonwealth are the twin funnels and the distinct curved bow - the latter feature shared with the Wootton built by Henry Miles at the same time. She was built for a partnership of John Breckenridge, Allen Taylor and Robert Anderson. She was launched on 8th June 1901 and featured accommodation for 16 passengers in cabins and 6 in steerage. Details: ON: 112532 Twin Screw Scow Steamer (shallow draft) Length: 120.5 ft Breadth: 26.5 ft Depth: 5.8 ft Tonnage: Gross 167.64 Net 94.65 Note - a shipping ton is a measure of volume (equal to 100 cubic feet) and has no unit as such. Engines: Steam 25nhp 150ihp C.4Cy.(2) 8" &(2) 14"-12" Chapman & Co, Sydney Builders: Henry Miles Breckenridge under the supervision Henry Miles Name of Builder on Registration; John Breckenridge, Failford. Owners: 1901 -1903 John Breckenridge (32 shares), Allen Taylor + Robert Murray McCheyne Anderson (32 shares) 1903 - 1911 John Breckenridge 1911 - 1916 John Breckenridge & Sons Pty Ltd 1916 - Robert Gratton Cowlishaw (Cowlishaw Bros.) Launch On Saturday [8th June 1901] a launch from Mr. Breckenridge's yard at Failford took place, the vessel being a twin screw steamer for the Cape Hawke trade. Her length is 120ft., breadth 29ft., depth 6ft. She will have a displacement of 108 tons, and is built of gum, is copper fastened, and will be engined by Messrs. Chapman and Co., of Sydney. The vessel will be fitted to carry 16 cabin passengers and six in the steerage, and will be completed at Failford. She was christened by Miss Breckenridge [Elizabeth - "Bessie"] and named the Commonwealth. About 400 people visited Failford from the Manning and surrounding districts. The Sydney Morning Herald Tuesday 11 June 1901 Engines ad sails fitted at Failford Captain Rosten was engaged to superintend the rigging of the vessel, which was designed to carry an immense sail as well as her steam power. An engineer from Sydney came to Failford to install the engines. Maiden Voyage She left on her first trip to Sydney with a full complement of passengers and cargo on 26th August but her return trip in mid-September 1901 caused considerable concern with numerous reports appearing in the press. “The new coasting steamer Commonwealth, 100 tons, went out of Sydney Heads on Friday evening [September 14th], bound for Cape Hawke on her maiden voyage from the port. It was reported this morning from Seal Rocks that the boiler of the vessel had burst and several people had been killed. Anxiety regarding the safety of the steamer and those on board was allayed by a later message announcing that the Commonwealth had arrived at Cape Hawke, 12 miles from Seal Rocks, and reported all well.” The Register (Adelaide) Monday 16 September 1901. Working life in the timber trade She operated in the timber trade for most of her working life. In 1903 John Breckenridge bought out the other partners and registered under the name of his company John Breckenridge and Sons Pty Ltd in 1911. Wreck In early 1916 she was sold to ship charterer and freight contractor Roy Gratton Cowlishaw (Cowlishaw Bros.) for use in the coal trade - based in Lake Macquarie. She unfortunately came to grief early on the morning of 19th August 1916 when she foundered on Foggy Reef - north east of Terrigal, NSW. The following report from the sums up the event: "Commonwealth lost - 1916. The steamer Commonwealth, a Sydney owned coastal steamer of 168 tons, foundered off Terrigal at 3.30 o'clock in the morning. All hands were saved, landing at Terrigal in the ship's boat. The Commonwealth at the time of the disaster was bound from Lake Macquarie to Sydney laden with coal. The vessel appears to have sprung a leak, and, despite all efforts, the water gained on the pumps, and she gradually settled down. Fortunately the weather was fine at the time, and the crew had no difficulty in landing. Captain Smith was in command. He is well known on the Coast, and was for some time in the collier Currajong. The Commonwealth was originally built for Messrs. John Breckenridge and Sons, and she was running in the timber trade on the coast for that firm for some years. About six months ago the vessel was sold to Messrs. Cowlishaw Bros., of Sydney, for the Lake Macquarie coal trade. She was a twin-screw steamer, built at Failford in 1901. Her dimensions were: Length 120.5 ft, beam 26.5 ft., and depth of hold 5.8 ft."Northern Star, Monday 28 August 1916. Image Source - This image has been made available through the Great Lakes Museum The Great Lakes Museum in Tuncurry, NSW, contains a wealth of photos, models and information related to the shipping heritage of the Great Lakes. This image is provided for research purposes only and must not be reproduced for other purposes without the prior permissions of Great Lakes Museum. Acknowledgements. The assistance of Mori Flapan (Mori Flapan boatregister) by providing access to his extensive database is greatly appreciated. All Images in this photostream are Copyright - Great Lakes Manning River Shipping and/or their individual owners as may be stated above and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or used in any way without prior written approval. GREAT LAKES MANNING RIVER SHIPPING, NSW - Flickr Group --> Alphabetical Boat Index --> Boat builders Index --> Tags List
  • License*: All Rights Reserved - photo in flikr foto flickr
    *The photographs are copyrighted by their respective owners.
photos found. 25. Photos on the current page: 15
1 
1
Back to top