ManyFoto.com: photos from the world.

Getting started:

  1. Select the country.
  2. Find location in the text box
    [ Type in an address or City/locality: ]
  3. If necessary change the search radius.
  4. If necessary you can move the marker on the map.
  5. Start the search with
    [ See the photos ]

Or use:

  1. [ Search in ManyFoto.com by Google ]
Note:
manyfoto.com uses the Flickr API but is not endorsed or certified by Flickr.
How to get to Vaals (Limburg) Hotel Vaals (Limburg)

Photos of Vaals, Limburg

photos found. 2667. Photos on the current page: 15
1 
1
Drielandenpunt
Drielandenpunt
  • Author: Fortiske Follow on flickr foto flickr
  • Date of photography: 2019-08-24 11:49:45
  • Geographical coordinates of the taken: 50°45'12"N - 6°1'15"O
  • Zicht op Gemmenich (B) Sight on Gemmenich (B)
  • License*: All Rights Reserved - photo in flikr foto flickr
    *The photographs are copyrighted by their respective owners.
Drielandenpunt (Vaals NL)
Drielandenpunt (Vaals NL)
  • Author: Fortiske Follow on flickr foto flickr
  • Date of photography: 2019-08-24 11:31:21
  • Geographical coordinates of the taken: 50°45'19"N - 6°1'13"O
  • Hoogste top van Nederland (322m) Highest top from the Netherlands (322m)
  • License*: All Rights Reserved - photo in flikr foto flickr
    *The photographs are copyrighted by their respective owners.
Find the Best Accomodations located to Vaals, Limburg
  • New deals listed every day
  • FREE cancellation on most rooms!
  • No booking fees, Save money!, Best Price Guaranteed
  • Manage your booking on the go
  • Book last minute without a credit card!
  • Find out more at Booking.com Reviews
Hotel Vaals
Drielandenpunt (B - NL - D)
Drielandenpunt (B - NL - D)
  • Author: Fortiske Follow on flickr foto flickr
  • Date of photography: 2019-08-24 11:37:49
  • Geographical coordinates of the taken: 50°45'16"N - 6°1'14"O
  • Belgium : Gemmenich Netherlands : Vaals Germany : Aachen
  • License*: All Rights Reserved - photo in flikr foto flickr
    *The photographs are copyrighted by their respective owners.
Drielandenpunt (Neutraal Moresnet) (B)
Drielandenpunt (Neutraal Moresnet) (B)
  • Author: Fortiske Follow on flickr foto flickr
  • Date of photography: 2019-08-24 11:49:18
  • Geographical coordinates of the taken: 50°45'12"N - 6°1'15"O
  • Het dwergstaatje Neutraal Moresnet heeft ruim honderd jaar bestaan en grensde aan Limburg. Een toevallige passant zal het niet opvallen, maar wie rond het Belgische plaatsje Kelmis goed oplet, ziet af en toe vreemde, vierkante grensstenen met Romeinse cijfers staan langs wegen en paden. En iedereen die bij Vaals wel eens het Drielandenpunt heeft bezocht, kwam aanrijden over de viergrenzenweg. Het zijn de laatste overblijfselen van het dwergstaatje Neutraal Moresnet, dat vroeger bij het Vierlandenpunt grensde aan Nederland. Het 344 hectare tellende gebiedje ontstond in 1816. Even daarvoor was Napoleon definitief verslagen en werden de grenzen in Europa tijdens het Congres van Wenen opnieuw vastgelegd. Het tegenwoordige België hoorde vanaf dat moment grotendeels bij Nederland. Ook tussen Nederland en Duitsland (Pruisen) werden de grenzen opnieuw vastgesteld, maar over het gebied rond Kelmis, waar een belangrijke zinkmijn lag, ontstond onenigheid. Zowel Nederland als Duitsland wilden graag de zeggenschap over het gebied hebben. De oplossing van de onenigheid werd in het Akens Grensverdrag vastgelegd. In het verdrag werd bepaald dat het plaatsje Moresnet voortaan bij Nederland zou horen, Pruisisch Moresnet kwam bij Duitsland en het gebied rond Kelmis, waar de zinkmijn lag, werd een neutraal gebied, dat onder de naam Neutraal Moresnet voortaan gezamenlijk bestuurd zou worden door een Duitse en een Nederlandse commissaris. In 1830 kwamen de Belgen in opstand tegen de Nederlandse overheersing. De Belgen scheidden zich af, inclusief Nederlands Limburg. Maastricht werd daarmee een Nederlandse enclave in België en de zeggenschap over Neutraal Moresnet veranderde van Nederlands-Duits in Belgisch-Duits. Het Vierlandenpunt ontstond in 1839, toen Nederlands Limburg weer bij Nederland getrokken werd. Of er nu echt sprake was van een vierlandenpunt, blijft onderwerp van discussie. Strikt genomen was Neutraal Moresnet, met ongeveer 250 inwoners in 1816, geen land maar een zogeheten condominium. Het gebied had ook geen parlement, geen eigen grondwet en geen eigen staatshoofd. Maar de burgemeester van Kelmis vervulde bij officiële gelegenheden wel de ceremoniële rol van staatshoofd en had de dagelijkse leiding over het gebied. De werkelijke macht lag bij Duitsland en België, maar beide landen bemoeiden zich nauwelijks met het bestuur. Het inwonertal van Neutraal Moresnet vertienvoudigde tot 2500 in 1858. Er waren ook redenen genoeg om naar Neutraal Moresnet te verhuizen. De belastingen en importrechten waren lager en de lonen hoger dan in de omringende landen en in de beginjaren kende het condominium geen dienstplicht[1]. Ook was zelf alcohol stoken legaal. Er werd zelfs zoveel alcohol gestookt, dan een belangrijk deel geëxporteerd werd, hoofdzakelijk naar Nederland. In het begin van de twintigste eeuw werden de eerste pogingen ondernomen om Neutraal Moresnet op te laten gaan in België en Duitsland. In 1909 werd afgesproken dat het dorp Moresnet Duits zou worden, terwijl de het gebied rond de zinkmijn voor België zou zijn. Het ging hierbij puur om de verdeling van grondgebied, want de zinkmijn was in 1885 al uitgeput en gesloten. Maar tijdens een referendum in 1910 koos een overgrote meerderheid van de inwoners voor aansluiting bij België. Duitsland zou dan ter compensatie een stuk grond in Belgisch Congo krijgen. In dezelfde periode dat er gesproken werd over de opheffing van Neutraal Moresnet, was er bizar genoeg ook een initiatief om het condominium om te bouwen tot een echt landje. De Duitse huisarts Wilhelm Molly wilde het gebied omvormen tot een Esperantostaat. Hij bedacht een naam (Amejiko = vriendplaats) bracht postzegels uit en er werd zelfs een volkslied gemaakt. Ook een vlag voor de nieuw op te richten staat ontbrak niet. Uiteindelijk kwam van de Esperantostaat niets terecht, omdat de Eerste Wereldoorlog roet in het eten gooide. Duitsland bezette het gebied in 1914 en Neutraal Moresnet werd Duits. Maar uiteindelijk verloren de Duitsers de oorlog, en in 1919 werd de zeggenschap over het voormalige condominium weer aan België toegekend. Dat land voegde het gebied van wat eens Neutraal Moresnet was, in 1920 definitief toe aan haar grondgebied. In het gebied rond de oude zinkmijn, bij Kelmis, wordt tot op de dag van vandaag nog altijd overwegend Duits gesproken. Neutral Moresnet (French pronunciation: ​[mɔ.ʁɛ.nɛ]) was a small Belgian–Prussian condominium in central-western Europe that existed from 1816 to 1920 and was jointly administered by the United Kingdom of the Netherlands (Belgium after its independence in 1830) and the Kingdom of Prussia. After 1830, the territory's northernmost border point at Vaalserberg connected it to a quadripoint shared additionally with the Dutch Province of Limburg, the Prussian Rhine Province, and the Belgian Province of Liège. Today it is known as the Three-Country Point, being the meeting place of the borders of Belgium, Germany, and the Netherlands. During the First World War, Neutral Moresnet was annexed by Germany, although the allies did not recognise the annexation. The Armistice between France and Germany in November 1918 forced Germany to withdraw from Belgium and Neutral Moresnet. A year later, the Treaty of Versailles awarded Neutral Moresnet to Belgium, effective 10 January 1920, when the territory was annexed by Belgium to become the municipality of Kelmis. The area is especially of interest to Esperantists because of initiatives in the early 20th century to found an Esperanto‑speaking state, named Amikejo (lit. Place of Friendship), on the territory of Neutral Moresnet. During World War II, Kelmis and the surrounding area was again annexed by Germany and had its name reversed to Moresnet, but the territory was returned to Belgium in 1944. After the demise of Napoleon's Empire, the Congress of Vienna of 1814–15 redrew the European map, aiming at creating a balance of power. One of the borders to be delineated was the one between the newly founded United Kingdom of the Netherlands and the Kingdom of Prussia. Both parties could agree on the larger part of the territory, as borders mostly followed older lines, but the district of Moresnet proved problematic, mainly because of the valuable zinc spar mine called Altenberg (German) or Vieille Montagne (French) located there. Both the Netherlands and Prussia were keen to appropriate this resource, which was needed in the production of zinc and brass—at that time, Bristol in England was the only other place where zinc ore was processed. In December 1815, Dutch and Prussian representatives convened in nearby Aachen and on 26 June 1816, a compromise was reached, dividing the district of Moresnet into three parts. The village of Moresnet itself would become part of the Dutch province of Liège, whereas the Prussian village Moresnet (renamed Neu-Moresnet after World War I) would become part of the Prussian Rhine province, and the mine and the adjacent village would become a neutral territory pending a future agreement. The two powers, both barred from occupying the area with their military, established a joint administration. When Belgium gained its independence from the Netherlands in 1830, the Belgians took over the Dutch role in Neutral Moresnet (though formally the Dutch never ceded their claim). Formal installation of border demarcation markers for the territory occurred on 23 September 1818. The territory of Neutral Moresnet had a somewhat triangular shape with the base being the main road from Aachen to Liège. The village and mine lay just to the north of this road. To east and west, two straight lines converged on the Vaalserberg. The roads from Germany and Belgium to the Three‑Country Point are named Dreiländerweg (lit. Three Countries Way) and Route des Trois Bornes (lit. Three Border Stones Road) respectively; the road from the Netherlands is called Viergrenzenweg (lit. Four Borders Way). From 1883, Neutral Moresnet used a tricolour with horizontal bars in black, white and blue as its territorial flag. The origin is unclear and has been explained in two different ways: Some hold that the colours were taken from the two conflicting powers' flags, with black and white standing for Prussia and white and blue for the Netherlands. According to Flags of the World, "it seems more likely that the colours have been taken from the emblem of the Vieille Montagne (mining company)" The territory was governed by two royal commissioners, one from each neighbour. Eventually, these commissioners were commonly civil servants from the Belgian Verviers and the Prussian Eupen. The municipal administration was headed by a mayor appointed by the commissioners. The Napoleonic civil and penal codes, introduced under French rule, remained in force throughout the existence of Neutral Moresnet. However, since no law court existed in the neutral territory, Belgian and Prussian judges had to come in and decide cases based on the Napoleonic laws. Since there was no administrative court either, the mayor's decision could not be appealed. In 1859, Neutral Moresnet was granted a greater measure of self-administration by the installation of a municipal council of ten members. The council, as well as a welfare committee and a school committee, were appointed by the mayor and served an advisory function only. The people had no voting rights. Life in Neutral Moresnet was dominated by the Vieille Montagne mining company, which not only was the major employer but also operated residences, shops, a hospital and a bank. The mine attracted many workers from the neighboring countries, increasing the population from 256 in 1815 to 2,275 in 1858 and 4,668 in 1914. Most services such as the mail were shared between Belgium and Prussia (in a fashion similar to Andorra). There were five schools in the territory, and Prussian subjects could attend the schools in Prussian Moresnet. Living in the territory had several benefits. Among these were the low taxes (the national budget being fixed at 2,735 fr. throughout its history), the absence of import tariffs from both neighbouring countries, and low prices compared to just across the border. A downside to their special status was the fact that people from Neutral Moresnet were considered to be stateless and were not allowed a military of their own. However, there is no record of Neutral Moresnet taking a hostile international stance. Many immigrants settled in Moresnet so they would be exempt from military service, but in 1854 Belgium began to conscript its citizens who had moved to Moresnet, and Prussia did likewise in 1874. From then on, the exemption applied only to descendants of the original inhabitants. Neutral Moresnet did not have its own currency. The French franc was legal tender. The currencies of Prussia (and then Germany, after 1871), Belgium and the Netherlands were also in circulation. In 1848 local currency began circulating, though these coins were not considered the official medium. When the mine was exhausted in 1885, doubts arose about the continued survival of Neutral Moresnet. Several ideas were put forward to establish the territory as a more independent entity: In 1886, Dr. Wilhelm Molly (1838–1919), the mine's chief medical doctor and an avid philatelist, tried to organise a local postal service with its own stamps. This enterprise was quickly thwarted by Belgian intervention. A casino was established in August 1903 after Belgium had forced all such resorts to close. The Moresnet casino operated under strict limitations, permitting no local resident to gamble, and no more than 20 persons to gather at a time. The venture was abandoned, however, when Kaiser Wilhelm II threatened to partition the territory or cede it to Belgium in order to end the gambling. Around this same time, Moresnet boasted three distilleries for the manufacture of gin. The most remarkable initiative occurred in 1908, when Dr. Molly proposed making Neutral Moresnet the world's first Esperanto‑speaking state, named Amikejo ("place of friendship"). The proposed national anthem was an Esperanto march of the same name, set to the tune of "O Tannenbaum". A number of residents learned Esperanto and a rally was held in Kelmis in support of the idea of Amikejo on 13 August 1908, and a coat of arms was unveiled. The World Congress of Esperanto, meeting in Dresden, even declared Neutral Moresnet the world capital of the Esperanto community. However, time was running out for the tiny territory. Neither Belgium nor Prussia (now within the German Empire) had ever surrendered its original claim to it. Around 1900, Germany, in particular, was taking a more aggressive stance towards the territory and was accused of sabotage and of obstructing the administrative process in order to force the issue. The First World War brought about the end of neutrality. On 4 August 1914, Germany invaded Belgium, initially leaving Neutral Moresnet as "an oasis in a desert of destruction". A total of 147 Neutral Moresnet citizens were killed, though it is unclear whether they were killed inside the territory or in fighting outside its borders. On 27 June 1915, Neutral Moresnet was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia, although the annexation never received international recognition. In 1918, the Armistice between France and Germany, signed on 11 November at Compiègne, forced Germany to withdraw from Belgium and also from Moresnet. It also led to the ousting of Mayor Wilhelm Kyll, a German national who had been appointed after the German invasion. On 28 June 1919, the Treaty of Versailles settled the dispute that had created the neutral territory a century earlier by awarding Neutral Moresnet, along with Prussian Moresnet and the German municipalities of Eupen and Malmedy, to Belgium. The treaty became effective on 10 January 1920, ending the territory's existence and turning it into a municipality in Belgium. To distinguish it from the already existing town of Moresnet (in the neighboring municipality of Plombières), Neutral Moresnet was renamed Kelmis (in French: La Calamine) – after kelme, the local dialect word for zinc spar. Despite the annexation, Neutral Moresnet Mayor Pierre Grignard effectively stayed in office and became the first mayor of Kelmis. The ten members of Neutral Moresnet's council were confirmed for the Kelmis municipal council after its Prussian members renounced their nationality. They remained in office until the election of a new municipal council on 7 February 1923. After 1920, Moresnet shared the history of Eupen and Malmedy. Germany briefly re‑annexed the area during World War II, but it returned to Belgium in 1944. Since 1973, Kelmis has formed a part of the German‑speaking community of Belgium. In 1977, Kelmis absorbed the neighbouring communes of Neu‑Moresnet and Hergenrath. A small museum in Neu‑Moresnet, the Göhltal Museum (French: Musée de la Vallée de la Gueule), includes exhibits on Neutral Moresnet. Of the 60 border markers for the territory, more than 50 are still standing. As a company, Vieille Montagne survived Neutral Moresnet. It branched out and after two centuries continues to exist as VMZINC, a part of Union Minière, the latter renamed in 2001 as Umicore, a global materials company. On 26 October 2016, Catharina Meessen became the last surviving citizen of the former territory after the death of Alwine Hackens-Paffen.
  • License*: All Rights Reserved - photo in flikr foto flickr
    *The photographs are copyrighted by their respective owners.
ABM (Another Blue Monday) / University Hospital in Aachen, Germany
ABM (Another Blue Monday) / University Hospital in Aachen, Germany
  • Author: Frans.Sellies Follow on flickr foto flickr
  • Date of photography: 2019-07-25 22:21:07
  • Geographical coordinates of the taken: 50°46'50"N - 6°2'37"O
  • The Uniklinikum Aachen, full German name Universitätsklinikum Aachen ("University Hospital Aachen", abbreviated UKA), is the university hospital of the city of Aachen, Germany. It is part of the RWTH Aachen and contains its whole medical faculty. When you first see this university hospital of Aachen you think it is a factory ! The hospital's exterior has extensive visible pipes, which give the building an industrial appearance reminiscent of an oil refinery. In 1972 the construction of the Klinikum Aachen began, with a project of Aachen architects Weber & Brand. Ten years later, the first rooms could be used by the faculty. The rest of the building was finished section by section. The construction was delayed because of problems with soft ground that could not support the whole building.
  • License*: All Rights Reserved - photo in flikr foto flickr
    *The photographs are copyrighted by their respective owners.
kleurrijk te Vaals
kleurrijk  te Vaals
  • Author: Ted Potters Follow on flickr foto flickr
  • Date of photography: 2019-08-17 16:03:32
  • Geographical coordinates of the taken: 50°46'4"N - 6°1'9"O
  • License*: Public Domain Mark - photo in flikr foto flickr
    *The photographs are copyrighted by their respective owners.
Het groen is geworteld
Het groen is geworteld
  • Author: Ted Potters Follow on flickr foto flickr
  • Date of photography: 2019-08-17 16:05:08
  • Geographical coordinates of the taken: 50°46'6"N - 6°1'11"O
  • License*: Public Domain Mark - photo in flikr foto flickr
    *The photographs are copyrighted by their respective owners.
stop met het vervoer van radioactief materiaal, te Vaals
stop met het vervoer van radioactief materiaal, te Vaals
  • Author: Ted Potters Follow on flickr foto flickr
  • Date of photography: 2019-08-17 16:07:40
  • Geographical coordinates of the taken: 50°46'6"N - 6°1'11"O
  • License*: Public Domain Mark - photo in flikr foto flickr
    *The photographs are copyrighted by their respective owners.
secret balcony
secret balcony
  • Author: Ted Potters Follow on flickr foto flickr
  • Date of photography: 2019-08-17 16:08:37
  • Geographical coordinates of the taken: 50°46'6"N - 6°1'11"O
  • License*: Public Domain Mark - photo in flikr foto flickr
    *The photographs are copyrighted by their respective owners.
collection
collection
  • Author: Ted Potters Follow on flickr foto flickr
  • Date of photography: 2019-08-17 16:38:31
  • Geographical coordinates of the taken: 50°46'27"N - 6°0'48"O
  • License*: Public Domain Mark - photo in flikr foto flickr
    *The photographs are copyrighted by their respective owners.
cheap monday
cheap monday
  • Author: Ted Potters Follow on flickr foto flickr
  • Date of photography: 2019-08-17 16:52:49
  • Geographical coordinates of the taken: 50°46'5"N - 6°1'5"O
  • License*: Public Domain Mark - photo in flikr foto flickr
    *The photographs are copyrighted by their respective owners.
kerkkassa te Vaals
kerkkassa te Vaals
  • Author: Ted Potters Follow on flickr foto flickr
  • Date of photography: 2019-08-17 15:59:19
  • Geographical coordinates of the taken: 50°46'12"N - 6°1'20"O
  • License*: Public Domain Mark - photo in flikr foto flickr
    *The photographs are copyrighted by their respective owners.
Vaals, Färberbecken
Vaals, Färberbecken
Vaals
Vaals
schelpenverzameling
schelpenverzameling
  • Author: Ted Potters Follow on flickr foto flickr
  • Date of photography: 2019-08-17 16:11:06
  • Geographical coordinates of the taken: 50°46'9"N - 6°1'18"O
  • License*: Public Domain Mark - photo in flikr foto flickr
    *The photographs are copyrighted by their respective owners.
photos found. 2667. Photos on the current page: 15
1 
1
Back to top